I provided my favourite breakfast options a while back and so I thought I would also share my favourite “Bars” for practice. They are high in Iron and Fibre and as we are also getting closer our Team Selection Camp, these are a great little addition to your lunch box during long days!
My boyfriend found these from a cafe that he goes to with his cycling buddies, Le Club Espresso Bar. They were designed by the managers girlfriend in an attempt to create an energy bar with natural sugars. They are pretty easy to make and incredibly tasty! We found the instructions online and thought it would be nice to share with you another snack you can enjoy!
You can use them as a quick snack, as a pre-workout or post-workout “meal”.
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 2 cups shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup peanut butter (or any nut butter) *if not sticking as a soon more!
- 1 ½ cup dried dates
- Little bit of cinnamon
- Pit the dates and put them in a saucepan with water. Boil for a few minutes to rehydrate the dates. Drain to remove as much water as possible.
- Roughly chop dates
- Slightly melt the peanut butter
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together by hand.
- Quickly blitz the ingredients in a blender until you get a slightly sticky texture.** *you can also use your hands for this*
- Pour the mixture into the pan and press to flatten until the top of the mixture is firm and even.
- Place in the fridge – wait at least one hour before cutting.
**If they don’t seem to be sticking, add a little bit of water or another spoon of peanut butter**
We keep them in the fridge or freezer (depending on the summer temperatures outside) and then enjoy them when we want a little snack!
Hope you enjoy them as much as we do! Go check out Le Club Espresso Bar